MEPs Mobilising for Diabetes
Webinar : Blueprint for Action on Diabetes in the European Union by 2030
Thursday, February 25, 08.00-09.00 CET
Diabetes is a complex and multi-faceted condition which affects all genders, all generations, all socio-economic groups, in rural and urban areas in Europe and around the globe. In Europe one in eleven adults live with diabetes and no population group is immune to it. In addition to causing major suffering, diabetes also carries a huge economic burden for societies (estimated 9% of total health expenditure in the EU in 2019).
How can we put people living with diabetes at the heart of European health policies and ensure a person-centred and outcome-based approach? What can we do collectively to bend the curve on the diabetes pandemic, improve the lives of EU citizens living with diabetes and reduce health inequalities as well as the societal and financial burden for all? How can EU policy actions address health challenges faced by close to 10% of its citizens?
To answer these and other questions, the MEP Interest Group on Diabetes, MEPs Mobilising for Diabetes, invites you to a webinar where we will launch our Blueprint for Action on Diabetes in the European Union by 2030. This virtual event will gather a variety of diabetes stakeholders and policy makers from the EU Parliament, the Commission and WHO Europe. We will discuss the priorities to be addressed in the next 10 years to collectively bend the curve on the diabetes crisis and focus on how we can foster EU policy measures and action around a series of recommendations and enablers:
– Risk reduction (raising awareness and eradicating discrimination, developing health-enabling environments, supporting early action),
– Integrated care (strengthening primary care, promoting patient-centred care),
– Enabling access (ensuring access to diabetes care, increasing health literacy and leaving no one behind).
– Engagement with, and involvement of, people living with diabetes,
– Digitalisation and data,
– Research for actionable insights.